Friday, December 9, 2011

Focus...

Today, Little Bird is five months old. Today, Little Bird was transferred to a new facility. An area PICU, at our request. After spending the last three weeks embroiled in an argument with the NICU she was in, and in regards to what was best for her, the focus became obscured. MFH and I decided to pull the trigger and move her. A new hospital, capable and competent in providing our daughter the proper care that she requires. Though, this was not the outcome I had been hoping for. MFH and I did everything in our power to prevent her from being bounced around again, like a rubber ball. However, it is what is best for her, above everything else.

I originally planned this entry to be a complete explanation of the events that led us to this point. But, after reviewing it, I couldn't publish it. I don't want to sling any mud in the direction of the facility that at one point, did help us. Even though we ultimately butted heads toward the end of her stay, I think back to the beginning, when she didn't have a chance. Those first ten days, when no one expected anything from her. For how much I may disagree with the select few that I do, there was also great help from others. 

There is no such thing as that one perfect hospital. I can promise this to anyone out there reading these words. It simply doesn't exist. But I am very grateful to live in a time and a location that offers more than one option. I am also grateful for free will, and the sense to know what to do and when to do it. As parents, it is the best we can hope for. The serenity to accept the things we can not change, the courage to change the things that we can. And the wisdom to know the difference. 

Because of this change, we can not foresee when she will be released to come home. Clearly, that remains at the top of my to-do list. But above all else, Little Bird must be ready. Her health and well being remain priority over everything else. So, we'll take our time and work it out, and know that when we are discharged, the odds of being readmitted over something lost to haste will be that much smaller. 

Tonight, she sleeps. Resting from what was surely a very tiring day for her. Her vitals held steady throughout, and we will spend the next few days helping her to readjust to these new surroundings and faces. I'll keep everyone up to date concerning her progress and where we stand regarding her homecoming. Realistically, we may not be home in time for Christmas after all. But you know what? She's here. And she's okay. And that's all that matters. 






share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment