Friday, December 16, 2011

Corrections, Misquotes, and Here Come's Trouble....

So, apparently, my last update wasn't exactly correct. Before I begin this one, I'd like to explain myself. I misunderstood Little Bird's physician when I thought she said that Little Bird had already begun the medications meant to help heal her lungs. Truth be told, Little Bird actually isn't scheduled to receive her first doses until today. With that being said...

The last three days of vent pressure trials? Were. All. Her. She accomplished these on her own. Without any pharmacological interventions. At All. Knowing this is like.....whoa!!! If she could do that all by her little ole' self, I am so excited to see what other surprises she has in store for us when she is being assisted!  

Don't Let That Cute Face Fool You!

I'm really starting to slack on remembering the names of certain individuals that we've been meeting recently. This sucks, because they've all been not just nice experiences, but really down to Earth, as well. Last night, we met a physician's assistant who cracked me the hell up within moments of introducing ourselves. Little Bird was sound asleep when we arrived, looking like she was dreaming of flying again. MFH and I pulled up a couple of chairs and were waiting on her consciousness when the PA popped into our room to say hello. This is going to sound all kinds of wrong, but it was more mischievously funny than anything. She took notice to us anxiously anticipating the baby to wake up and play with us, and walked over to her, declaring what a shame it was that she was sleeping. She then decided to gently poke her, checking that her tubes and wires were all in place properly, wink, wink. I can't help but giggle, because it worked. Little Bird's eyes sprung opened, and then subsequently crossed in a brilliant what-the-hell moment I wish I could have captured on film. "Oh look! She's up! Wanna play with her?". You bet we did! Yes, I know, we are baby waker-uppers. But, we missed her! I consider it a preemptive strike for those inevitable middle-of-the-night play dates she'll spring on us in the near future.

Hey! I Know You!
Hypnotized By The Shiny Box Again
She Looks Innocent, But She's A Trouble Maker!
Little Bird was also up to her ears in shenanigans yesterday. She's very much a little busy body, and now demands to be upright whenever she's awake because she's so friggin' nosey. Earlier in the day, she bossed her nurses around by repeatedly requesting her bouncer seat. She heard people talking in the hallway just outside of her room, but she couldn't see them. So, she did her best impersonation of Walter Matthau until she eventually got her way. And right after last night's bath? Well, I guess you can never have too much of a good thing, because she wanted another one. Her G-tube was in place and productively filling her belly when she decided to pop the tubing off her mic-key button, essentially soaking herself and her bed in formula. My little juvenile delinquent. I'm so proud of her! 

"It Wasn't Me, Mom! I Not Fibbin'!"
She's Not Conceited, She's Convinced!
Her & Her Partner In Crime
Conspiring Against The Staff
Saluting The Masses
"How Do Ya Like Dem Apples?!?!"
It didn't take her very long to get herself in some trouble, again. She took a pretty good swipe at her face while trying to grab Dad's, and damn near clawed her own eye out. And she wasn't too pleased with me for sticking socks on her hands to prevent her from hurting herself. Until she figured out how to manipulate them like little boxing gloves. She was very much a little hooligan last night!

"Come At Me, Bro!"
"I Don't Think These Mitts Are Funny!"
"C'mon, Mom! Take Them Off!"
"I Promise I'll Be A Good Girl!"
 I also managed to capture some video for your viewing pleasure. But I should give you all a head's up. In one of them, she has a bit of a coughing fit. Don't panic! It's actually a good thing, because she's learning to clear her airway and it's something she does need to know how to do. It can appear a little scary, especially to anyone who's never witnessed a trach baby do this. MFH still kind of freaks out about it, because even he isn't quite used to it, yet. Her lack of voice when she does cough tends to make him instantly think she's choking, but she isn't. She's got it under control. 






The second one is actually from a previous visit with her. I know, I know, it's just her snoozing. But, remember how I told you about her learning how manipulate her trach to make sounds? She was so comfortable that she did this in her sleepHer not having her true voice isn't something I will ever get used to. But her being able to make these darling tones is something we cherish every single time she does. If you ever find yourself awake in the middle of the night and unable to rest, just come here and replay this clip. Watching it is so relaxing, at least to me, that I just want to crawl in that crib with her and close my eyes, too. I think I need a nap, now. Enjoy!


 
share on: facebook

2 comments:

  1. Her little noises in the video were so sweet and peaceful! Thank you for sharing so many pictures! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete